Monday, January 01, 2007

Oh yeah it was my birthday, I think like a few days ago (yeah right, like I forgot

that my birthday is on December 25th, like I forgot my brother's birthday is on December 25th, because where I'm from (United States of America) December 25th is a day like any other day.

So I suppose I should commemorate the joyful awfulness of life and its yearly celebration that culminates on the day of loneliness for atheists, fairly unsavvy immigrants, people in the Zhang family under 21, which currently only includes my brother, by putting up some photos of my birthday dinner and the time last year when my I came home on Christmas smelling like poo poo, and the other time when it wasn't my birthday but I was really happy because my brother was paying attention to me and talked to me, and also this time in Shanghai, when he talked to me about everything and he didn't say things like, "Why are you always asking me questions," or "I knew it, you were going to ask me a question," and I don't have to stoop down to say, "When people ask you how are you, it's not meant to harm you. In fact, you could see it as me caring about you and wanting to know more about you."

And also, I have to say I was happy all of last week when I had my dad, my mom, my brother, my two cousins, my two grandpas and two grandmas, my uncle, my three aunties, and the only one missing was my favorite uncle who lost his teeth, but yesterday he called and he pretended he didn't know what I was saying on the phone so that he could hear me ask him who he was a few more times so he could say, Hey your Chinese is astounding, and that's why he's my favorite uncle, all the compliments, you know. My mom and dad and brother left two days ago, the night before they left I pulled my brother's arm and rested my face on my mother's shoulder, and ate seeds, don't know what kind, but they were toasted and took forever to eat, and looked at my grandpa when he wasn't looking, and touched my second aunt when I thought she wouldn't feel it, from underneath the dinner table, and ate another crab even though I'm starting to get hives I think and told my grandmother I wanted to eat more of her food, and told my cousin she was beautiful and told my big auntie she was beautiful, and thanked my littlest auntie for taking me to my other grandparent's house, and slid right into bed and felt a caved-in sigh pulling the life out of me, so I had to look at my dad's camera and look at the pictures I brought with me to stop that long breath from letting the air out of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home